Sunday, December 5, 2010

That Would Suck!

One week from today Dakota, my firstborn baby will be wheels up and winging his way to Naples Italy, then onward to Great Lakes Illinois for Navy boot camp. I am an emotional mess. But that's not what this post is about. The younger boys have been talking a lot about what they will do when it is their turn to leave home. (This is not perhaps the most helpful conversation to have in front of a very emotional mama. One baby leaving is bad enough, I do not need reminding that eventually they will all leave home.) Tonight's conversation took a turn to the hilarious.

"When I leave home I am going to be a lawyer." Says Colin, my argumentative one. I have to say it is a good choice for his personality.

"Not me!" piped up Alonzo. "I am going to go to the Navy academy so I can be an officer and Dakota will have to salute when ever he sees me."

"Oh man!" Dakota with a horrified look on his face. "That would suck!"


4 comments:

Connie said...

Hilarious!!! :D Is that the only reason he wants to go?! My 7yo tells me that she is going to have a farm and be a vet, but I have to live next to her and help out, because she doesn't know how to take care of all those animals yet. No worries about housing, my 10yo plans a mansion big enough for all of us and their future families. Used to be a castle, but he's modernized.

Hang in there mama... you can make it! (which is, as I know that you know, advice I am just making up because what the heck do I know about this parenting situation, but I mean it in the right way, honestly!)

Monica said...

hahahahahahahaha! that made me laugh. thank you.

Becky said...

Too funny! Your boys crack me up. I'll be thinking of you in the weeks to come. Good luck to Dakota and to you. Must be so hard to have him leaving.

TulipGirl said...

Hubby and I were married on the shore of Lake Michigan, inside the gates at Great Lakes. It's going to be cold there this winter, but. . . oh. . . the lake is gorgeous!

And when he finally gets leave and a bunch of the squids go down to Chicago and Navy Pier, tell him to look for Mrs. Claus and mention he grew up as an FSO kiddo *cough, my mom*. She'll give him extra treats and make sure that he gets some goodies at the USO.