Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Holy Smokes!

I was sitting at the computer this morning when a movement in the snake cage caught my eye. Yes, I said snake. Child number 3 got a snake for his birthday. Mom got a snake cage with a padlock for her peace of mind. Snakes, in my opinion, are my cuter when there is absolutely no chance of escape!

Snakes are basically boring pets. Ribbon spends all day, every day, laying very still under a bit of bark hiding from the world. Check out the video below to see what was going on today. Sorry about the quality of the video. The only camera at hand was my point and shoot Olympus. Great little camera, and I love that I can take it into the pool, but it isn't the best video camera ever. Better than nothing though.



Holy Cow, I had no idea she could move so fast. I guess it is time to buy a new fish!

In case you are wondering Ribbon is a ribbon snake. She (pet store guy said it was a she) is about 2 feet long and as big around as a pencil. Really she is cute for a snake but the one time she got loose, I suddenly found myself balance atop the sofa shrieking like a girl, hence the padlock. She is completely nonvenomous, and harmless (unless you are a fish).

This video is basically real time. The only things I cropped out are when I filmed the wall for a few seconds because I was watching Ribbon not the camera, and when I put my finger over the lens, see reason above. I had to pull back a few times because I didn't want to get her upset and have her barf the fish back up. She has done that before and it is gross! From start of the hunt to slithering back to her hidey hole was less than 4 minutes.

2 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, Nature! What a view of that critter.

We visit snakes at the pet store. My daughter is more into the furry little dudes, so we have been snake-free so far.

Unknown said...

Blah!!!! But kinda cool too. ;)