Monday, November 8, 2010

NaNoWriMo

No I am not spouting gibberish! At least not here on the blog, I don't think I am anyway. I think many bloggers have heard of NaBloPoMo, National Blog Posting Month, during which you are supposed to post a blog post every single day for the entire month of November. I not that motivated to post a blog post everyday. Sometimes I have something to say and sometimes I don't, consequently I don't even attempt NaBloPoMo. My goal of at least two posts a week seems to be doable for me.

One of my long term goals is to write a book, if it gets published so much the better, but I really love to write and want to actually produce something more than this blog. This year was supposed to be the year I was really going to try my hand at writing, I was giving myself one year to work on writing and see if it was something I could really do. This goal has been largely derailed by first firing the maid and cook, and second by deciding to homeschool Alonzo. This leaves approximately no time to myself. Poor me!

I decided that I could either keep making excuses or I could get busy and write whenever I have 5 minutes. I manage to get blog posts out more or less regularly even with the frustrations of third world internet. I should be able to do a little writing towards my goal. Enter NaNoWriMo. NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month during which participants will write (or at least try to) write a 50,000 word novel in one month. OK so it is more like a novella than a full length novel but we only have November in which to pen this literary masterpiece.

So far I am pretty much sucking. I sit and stare at a blank word document and hyperventilate. I type something. I hate it. I delete it. A blank computer screen is at least as scary as a blank piece of paper. If you want to keep track of how my progress is going there is a new icon on the sidebar, it tells you my word count so far. I finally broke 1000 words today and hope to break 2ooo words before I go to bed tonight. I figure if I write between 2 and 3 thousand words a day for the rest of the month I should still be able to finish the novel by November 30th. Whether or not it makes sense is a whole different matter. The point is to simply write, to form the habit of writing, to prove to myself that I CAN do this. That's all for now I gotta go write some more.

5 comments:

Connie said...

Awesome goal! Good luck!!

Jen said...

Wishing you luck, but I know you will finish it!

Daniela Swider said...

Wow, a novel in a month - that's an awesome idea! Good for you for being part of it. It think getting in the habit of writing every day will help you no matter what. Best of luck!!!

Monica said...

you GO girl.

Bfiles said...

I'm hoping my husband will do this next year. Good luck!!