Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flight nightmares

By this time tomorrow I will be at the airport waiting to board the flight that will take me and the boys back to the states. OK, so we will be waiting board the flight to South Africa where we will switch planes to board the flight that will take us back to the states. I'm ridiculously nervous. It's my first time flying solo with the kids. Always before I've had Dave and Dakota or Teri and Dakota to help corral the three little one on international flights. This time it's just me. And the three boys. SIGH! Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

Just about the time I thought I was all organized and had everything under control David decided to caution me to make sure I got on the right flight, there are three leaving at about the same time. Apparently some guy a few weeks ago got on the wrong flight and ended up in Nairobi instead of Johannesburg. His luggage and connecting flight were all in Johannesburg, South Africa but this poor guy was stranded in Nairobi, Kenya. I have no idea how he got home. The buzzing in my ears as I had a total panic attack drowned out the sound of Dave's voice. I thought this was why your tickets are always checked right before you board, to make sure you don't end up on the wrong flight. Then again this IS Malawi.

I hardly slept at all last night worrying about ending up stuck in Nairobi instead of winging my way home to the states. Then I had a flash of brilliance, I actually sorta-kinda know people in Nairobi, in a bloggy sort of way. So you FS bloggers in Kenya if you get a totally hysterical e-mail from me sometime tomorrow afternoon could you pretty please come rescue me from the airport? Thank you! I knew I could count on you. Now does anyone know any bloggers in Addis Abada?

9 comments:

Sara said...

Good luck and enjoy the States!!

Nomads By Nature said...

You'll be great! And making sure the flight says Jo'burg will be a fun and helpful activity for the boys to undertake with you. Have a fun and relaxing flight ~ We hope to meet up with y'all in TX at some point!

Shannon said...

Cool, I'll be in TX all of July, as soon as I have a cell phone I'll dash an e-mail your way so you have an easy way to contact me. Safe travels this summer.

Sadie said...

Have a wonderful vacation at home! That flight back and forth from Joburg is icky even when you're on your own, so having three boys to distract you from the tedium may make it more tolerable. Enjoy the US!

Monica said...

woo-hoo!!! so excited. safe travels, friends. have been trying to post a freakin' comment for forever. happy belated b-day to lonzo and a bunch of other stuff. keep getting interrupted!!! imagine that!!! hugs!!!

Connie said...

I've had to fly solo a couple times with little ones and was pleasantly surprised how much more mature they acted when they realized that mom really needed their help(!) and cooperation. Give them the responsibility and you all will be fine (just remind them to NOT pack the spiders... I just don't see that going over very well when your luggage is screened...)

LeesOnTheGo said...

You'll do great...and so will the kiddos! I WISH I were in Nairobi to field a possible frantic call from you! Actually, I take that back...am totally content in CA and do not for a minute wish to be in NBO but do wish you safe, happy & easy flights. It will be over before you know it!

Bfiles said...

have a great time! hope the travel goes smoothly.

Becky said...

YAHOO! See you in Texas!