Tuesday, January 13, 2009

View Out My Window Today

This has been the view out of our living room window for the last week. Today I think it may be changing. It is warmer than it has been for over a week. By warmer I mean we are approaching the freezing point, still pretty cold by Texas standards! The snow is starting to feel a bit squshy underfoot. It may be melting away soon.


The mini snowplow that keeps our sidewalks clear has been busy spreading salt everywhere. As the snow melts the sidewalks will get wet but once the sun goes down so will the temperatures and no one wants to go ice sating on the sidewalks. I now understand why the schools here require kids to switch from outside shoes to slippers (my kids use their Crocs). That salt is a pain to get up off the floor once it has been tracked inside. It crystalizes leaving white footprints all over the place as if a ghost has walked through my house.

I checked the weather report and in spite of the rising temperatures we have a (slight) chance of snow in the forecast for the remainder of the week. Dave said it tends to snow when the temperature is closer freezing point. I can remember my dad saying something similar when I was a kid, "It's too cold to snow" I think is the quote. Seems like a weird idea to me, but what do I know? I am a snow newbie. I am loving it while it lasts.

This picture is just for my friend Jonelle. My house is really clean today, but it seems a bit plain without all the holiday decorations so this morning I picked this little beauty up at the grocery store.

I fell in love with orchids in Indonesia and kept several pots in the house all the time. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that orchids are inexpensive here as well, so I am able to indulge myself from time to time. This little plant was only about 7 euro. Not too bad and the flowers will last for a good long time as it has tons of unopened buds.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I am excited it is warming up to above the 0 degrees C outside too. I sure hope it snows again eventually. It was a lot of fun!

Shannon said...

LOL I read your comment this morning and looked out the window and cracked up, it is snowing quite heavily at the moment. Getting ready to walk to Rewe in the snow. Right now I love cold weather. The snow is so magical....Can you tell I have never lived where it snowed before?