Friday, May 22, 2009

So Typical

This morning the kids are home from school. Yesterday was a German holiday and the schools gave them Friday off as well so they have a long weekend. This morning I decided to treat them to a nice breakfast. I ran to the nearest bakerie ( yes I spelled that right - it is German for bakery) and bought some pastries using most, if not all of my limited German linguistic ability.

My German is very limited and painful to listen to, but I tried my best. It went something like this: "Ich möchte swie shoko Croisants" (chocolate croissants rock!) "Und swei... ummm.... THAT!" Still don't know what THAT was but it was like croissant dough wrapped around some sort of caramel filling and topped with walnuts. Yummmm! Worth every calorie. "Und eins Pain au choclate." Yes I realize pain au chocolate is very similar to chocolate croissants but really is there such a thing as too much chocolate? After each request the gentleman behind the counter repeated my request as he put the pastries in the bag. No, I didn't catch the name of THAT I was too busy trying to speak German. When my order was finished I announced "Das ist alles." To which he replied "OK your total today will be 5.10" in perfect, almost unaccented English. Serioulsy! UGGGHHHH! Some days I swear all of Germany is laughing at me!

4 comments:

Monica said...

oh, that is TOO funny. i am still laughing. what a gas. you and languages, girl...you have a GIFT - and it ain't for the actual language you are learning ;o)

p.s. and, you are CORRECT. there is no such thing as TOO much chocolate.

Nancy M. said...

That would be my luck too! At least your got your chocolate!

The Right Blue said...

I know exactly how you felt. I had nearly the same experience in France -- more than once!

Brenda said...

I am laughing now but I'm sure I wont be, next year when we hopefully get to come and see you guys. I will be in the same boat.