Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Year's Resolutions 2010

I decided this year I wasn't going to make any resolutions, I was just going to get on with my life. I guess I didn't tell my subconscious. I have several new things going on in my life and it seems I have waited until the new year to begin so I might as well label them resolutions and get on with the year.

New Year's Resolutions 2010
1. Get organized! We are heading to Malawi this summer so getting everything organized before packout will make our life so much easier both when we pack up and when we unpack.
2. Get rid of all the junk in the house or at least most of it. This really goes hand and hand with number one. We have so much junk in the house and as much as I want to blame it all on the kids a good bit of that clutter belongs to David and myself.
3. Get in shape! OK this is the same thing that has been on every list since I was about 23. This year we are moving to Malawi (I said that already, didn't I?). It has a nice, warm climate. Which means swimming more than once a year. I LOVE swimming but right now I really don't want to be seen in public in a swimsuit. I have until the end of June to get in swimsuit shape. Plus I really want to be able to keep up with the kids.
4. Make the children help out more around the house. It used to drive me crazy when I was teaching and my students had no chores at home, but my own kids have next to no chores. Well they HAD next to no chores but as of this week they have chores. They are not very happy with me at the moment but they will get over it and more importantly when they eventually leave home they will be able to take care of themselves because they will know how to cook, clean, and do laundry. After all, unless they are very very lucky they will not have a maid when they grow up. In case you are wondering YES we will have a maid in Malawi but make no mistake she will be my maid, not the kids!

That's it. It is a short list. There are more things going on but they are mostly short term projects over in a month or two. These four items are all yearlong things I struggle with on a regular basis. Apparently I am a disorganized couch potato and packrat who likes to spoil her kids. Maybe by this time next year I will be a organized hard body with disciplined, obedient kids who are happy to help out around the house.

4 comments:

Monica said...

go you hard bodied organized gal with perfect kids!!!!!!!!! i love, love, love this post. more power to ya, sister. and see my email about the swimsuit and this summer. ;o) xoxoxo

Jakarta Rocks said...

hard body - now that is a good aim. Why not an aim at losing an amount each month that is realistic? 1kg a month?

Love the idea about the chores - we tried to get the kids to do some on holidays. They worked out real quick that 50 cents euro only buys a lollipop. Considering they were making the beds and doing the washing - they decided they were underpaid. The beds were not made from that day on.

Shannon said...

Actually I decided to set fitness goals not related to weight, I would like to lose about 10 pound but if I don't loose anything that's OK as long as I feel better and get stronger.

My first goal is simply to exercise everyday this month. I am using a video called The 30 Day Shred and I think I might die before this month is over. My goal for the year is to be able to run 5k.

Shannon said...

Oh and laughing at the kids going on strike since they didn't get paid enough euro! Can totally relate, really looking froward to living in an euro economy!