Friday, September 5, 2008

Let's Go To the Zoo....

Monday David had off from work, and Grayson had off from school. The rest of the kids had to go off to school. What to do with a 3 year old on a rainy Monday morning in Frankfurt? Go to the zoo, of course. The zoo is right downtown and there is a U-bahn stop just outside the entryway. We gathered up raincoats and umbrellas and hopped on the U-bahn. For Grayson riding the train is as much fun as as the final destination.

The Frankfurt Zoo is pretty nice. My favorite exhibit was the nocturnal animals. Here is a picture of the huge bat that marks the entrance.  The lighting is controlled so the animals think it is night time. They are very active.  It takes a few minutes for your eyes to adjust but once they do it is wonderful. There is quite an array of different animals inside. I think my favorite is the aye-aye, which is a weird looking critter from Madagascar. I have no idea which was Grayson's favorite he just ran from one case to the next as fast as he could. I really do wish I could show you some pictures of the kangaroo rats, bats, sloths, and other cool creatures, but it was just to dark so you will have to pack up and come for a visit if you want to see the exhibit.

We spent most of the day at the zoo. The zebras put forth their best side to impress the foreign visitors. There is a petting zoo where Grayson discovered horns are sharp, don't worry the little goat was very friendly. 


The playground let Grayson burn off some of his boundless energy.  I even managed to pry the camera away from David long enough to get a picture of him with Grayson watching this sleepy bear.
I took the picture of the bear too!

David is a better photographer than me. He managed to capture this lizard with his lens.  It was taken through the glass enclosure.  Usually that doesn't work, but every once in a while.... 

3 comments:

Terio said...

I love the pictures and can't wait to see it all in person. BTW, Ilove your glasses, David!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,

glad to see you are settling in well. I love the comments about having to speak German (from a few weeks ago) - that is so hilarious, and so what they do (from experience there at xmas (we got kicked off a bus for not being able to speak German.....the driver understood english obsenities by the time I had finished).

Tracey (Jakarta)

Shannon said...

I think we had a run-in with the same driver today. David is writing a post about it. Frustrating as hell!