Monday, August 18, 2008

Gruneburg Park

 Jenn of Mamma's Living in Paradise has made it clear I owe an explanation for Naked People Park.  OK Jenn here is your explanation

Our very first weekend here we went to the park.  We had been in Germany less than 48 hours, but parks were in short supply in Jakarta, and we just couldn't wait. So off we go with not only our four boys, but an extra, that's right 5 American boys were bearing down on innocent sunbathers in Gruneburg Park. 

Someone had failed to warn me that nude sunbathing is legal in Germany, not just on selected beaches or in nudist colonies, but in the park.  Had I known this I probably still would have taken my boys to the park (it's huge with multiple playgrounds scattered throughout) BUT there would have a been a loooong discussion about appropriate behavior, how the human body is a beautiful thing, differences in cultural standards, blah blah blah!!!!! Maybe what happened next could have been avoided if I had only known

We came over footbridge, walked down into the park, and were greeted by a large wide open field.   The boys instantly took off running across the field with Cody trailing behind.  David and I were walking along the path around the edge of the field talking quietly still unaware of the impending doom. Suddenly the four oldest boys stopped (Grayson kept running because he 3 and...well he's 3)  David and I were still oblivious until......

"OH MY GAWD SHE'S NAKED!!" 

The scream cut through the air and suddenly several other sunbathers sat up and I realized that scattered across the field were sunbathers, some wearing clothes, and some... not so much.  

The young lady in question dressed and left rather abruptly while shooting us disgruntled looks.  Do you blame her?  The boys were yelling and pointing but not exactly running back to mom and dad, except Cody who was trying to look cool as he turned and walked away, all the while trying to look as if he weren't looking at naked women. Yeah right, he's 16 y'all, he looked!

The only thing worse than trying to get those kids off the field while naked people glared at us, was explaining to the other boy's parents that I let him get an eyeful.  Oh well, such is my life!

8 comments:

Jenn said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I'm over here in HI googling Gruneburk Park, naked and nudity, Germany. All kinds of different things trying to figure out what you're talking about! Cody, such a cool guy!

Anonymous said...

You have to watch out for swimming pools, too. My family was stationed overseas, and one night my parents tried to take me swimming at the Holiday Inn. My mother opened the door to the pool and abruptly told me, "Pool's closed." Later, she admitted that it was Nude Night. It's definitely a cultural difference!

Terio said...

I can see it as clearly as if I was walking with you and David! Which boy wailed is what I want to know!! I can see those sunbathers looking up and thinking, "Oh my Gawd! Gawkers!" Have fun!

Shannon said...

I think it was Alonzo, but I am not sure. I was slightly preoccupied thinking OH MY GAWD!!! HE"S NAKED! THERE"S A NAKED MAN! Apparently I was OK with naked women but naked men freaked me out!

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know, I had to read this one aloud to my husband, and we're both rolling on the floor.

Keep them cross-cultural experiences a-comin'...

Anonymous said...

lolololol, i have to link to your blog

Unknown said...

This is just too damn funny - even the second time reading it! What a change your family has gone through and is going through!

Brenda said...

Sorry you had to go through all that but OMG that was freakin hillarious!